Monday, May 17, 2010

Red & Aqua Part 2 May Block

So my second attempt at paper piecing went much better. In the Red & Aqua Part 2 Bee, May's Block gave me an opportunity to further my paper piecing skills. The request from Canada was a Laced Star. Sigh. It was daunting at first but thankfully she included enough extra fabric so there was some room to play and I quickly discovered that this is - for me at least - one of the keys to paper piecing. Having the extra fabric made all the difference. Paper piecing can produce an excess of waste, and I tried to minimize this as much as possible, but it helped to have extra fabric especially since my distinctly non-mathematical mind has difficulties figuring out the angles backwards. Does that make any sense? This time around there was definitely less frustration and it was a little easier than the last - so much so that I discovered that I don't hate paper piecing as much as I thought I did, especially after seeing the finished product.

P1010193
Laced Star for May in the Red & Aqua Part 2 Bee

I fell in love with this block. It was sad to send it home. And I was thrilled that I got one of the packages with the special Eiffel Tower fabric. I can't wait to see this quilt all put together. It's going to be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment