Friday, February 17, 2012

It's All About the Reward

Today I am beginning to tackle a major project. I am finally turning our garage into my studio. I'm actually embarrassed to show you the state it's in right now.

IMG_8189

Eek! I know! Gross, right? A few years back I actually motivated my husband to finally get it organized. We pulled all of the junk he had been storing back there out into the yard and we actually refinished the concrete floor before organizing all of his crap and making it look respectable. He was going to use it as his office. He tried it a few times before retreating back into our guest bedroom, which became his office for a little while until he got an office away from home.

IMG_8191

Slowly, I started moving my things in there. And it kept clean for a while, but lately it's turned into the vortex of doom - sucking in all of our accumulated crap. I've carved out a small pathway to be able to access my fabric stash but it's frightening endeavor.

IMG_8193

So why, might you ask, did I choose today, of all days, to surmount this feat? Well, there are two reasons, really. One - I've been dreaming about doing this for well over a year now and I finally have some time to dedicate to doing it. And Two - Yesterday I broke down and bought myself this...

IMG_8186

(I know!!! Can you believe it!!!) But I know how annoyed my husband gets at having my sewing stuff strewn all over our dining room in our very small house so I am not allowing myself to take it out of the box until I get this done. I'm looking at it as a reward for my effort. I can't wait to take it for a test run! Back to cleaning!

20 comments:

  1. grats on your new machine!! I can't wait to see your new space :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just make sure to take it out and test it in time if it's under a warranty. (I got to open an Xmas present early because of that.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! my mom has that same machine, and let me tell you, it is AWESOME! so clean faster!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! That is the machine I just decided that I want. It's only a dream for me... glad to see someone get it! Yes - clean faster! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have your work cut out for you :) But that reward is definitely worth it!

    I hope you make fast progress as that is the machine I've been drooling over and I'm really hoping to get one in the next few months so I'd love to hear how you like it. (That may be the definition of a run-on sentence :))

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's what our garage looks like! No basement, house too small for the whole family of creative people, and barely enough attic space for Christmas = nasty Blackhole Garage!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job making your own space for sewing. And congrats on the sewing machine. I have the same one and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am so excited. I have yet to hear anything bad about this machine.

      Delete
  8. Exciting! Those big glass doors with all that space is going to be amazing once you're done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look out into our back yard so I can't wait to sew with that view, and when the weather is nice I can keep them open and let the breeze come in.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your new machine and your soon-to-be-new sewing studio! Wish I were there to help you because that is my kind of project (especially in someone else's house, ha!). I'm sure it'll be fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, that certainly is motivation! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Vortex of doom" - I love it and can completely agree! I have one of those myself - it appears in the middle of my sewing room about once every six weeks or so...... Good luck on your new studio!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow you sure do have your work cut out for you. I know you will feel sooo good when it is all organized. Nice little incentive you have to get it all finished. Very nice sewing machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, you do have your work cut out for you. You have a wonderful incentive though to get it done. I know you will be feeling wonderful after all is organized and in place. Wishing you the best in your new studio. My hubby calls mine the "Woman Cave!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are going to love your Janome! That is the machine that I sew on as well and I have never regretted my decision to buy it. Looks like you have a lot of work to do in order to earn it so just keep your eye on the prize. A few years ago I took over my husbands music room in order to gain my own sewing space. I am happy to say that amps, guitars, fabric and sewing machines can coexist!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The perfect post for motivating me to get on with my own reorganization! I'm turning the wee boxroom into a craft space and I've got a looong way to go yet. Better get started...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow. Congrats on the Janome. Your new sewing space will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderfully exciting. Your new space will look amazing for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow. Congrats on the Janome. Your new sewing space will be amazing.

    ReplyDelete