Thursday, January 31, 2013

I'm Going to QuiltCon, Are you?

Untitled

I just joined in the Modern Quilt Guild's QuiltCon Linky Party! Are you going to QuiltCon? Then link up over there. It's a great way to start getting to know some of your fellow attendees and put faces to names. (My face is up there and my name is "Hollie" if you didn't already know.) I don't know about you, but I have a pretty full agenda at QuiltCon. I'm taking Anna Maria's "Every Last Stitch" class on Thursday, Lotta's "Textile Printing" class on Friday, Elizabeth's "Free Motion Quilting" class on Saturday and Yoshiko's "Playing with Sheer Fabrics" on Sunday. I also just signed up to Volunteer if they need me so you might see me around somewhere, doing something. 

And to get to know me a little better here are five things you might not know about me:

1) I was a professional actor (theatre) for twenty years, but I retired over ten years ago. Despite being uninhibited on stage, I can be pretty shy in person, until I get to know you. For me acting was about an artistic expression of myself, not about trying to be famous. If I could have paid my bills doing Shakespeare and musical theatre for the rest of my life I wouldn't have retired so young. 

2) I have lived in a lot of places: Diamond Bar, Chico & Los Angeles, California / Oxford, England / Iowa City, Iowa / New York City / Chicago, Illinois... It's hard for me to pinpoint my "hometown".

3) I have no desire to be on television, but I would love to be on Survivor or the Amazing Race if they were just experiences, not being filmed. I like to test myself and see how far I can go. I'm pretty tenacious when I want to be and tend to embrace challenges full throttle.

4) I often dream about my "alternate life", you know that dream you let go of early on to pursue another one. In alternate life I would have lived around the world when I was young, working as a adventure travel guide, then gone into the Peace Corps and likely ended up in Africa working for a non-profit and doing relief work for a living. 

5) While I couldn't play team sports to save my life, I did ride and show horses competitively until I was 18 years old. I wanted to continue into adulthood, but my horse passed away from cancer my senior year of high school and my life went in a different direction after that.

How about you? Are you going? Let me know if you are and want to meet up. It's gonna be fun!

10 comments:

  1. I'm not going (I wish!), but I have to say--my husband went to Diamond Bar High School! Too funny. He too can't pin down a hometown, that was his last stop as a kid LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'll see you there!! I'm not taking any classes - only going to lectures. I was (and still am) tempted to be a volunteer, but I want to be able to enjoy my time, and since I can't seem to get a feel for how much and when I would work, I don't want to volunteer. :-(
    But I'll definitely see you there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friends and I are thinking about driving down for the show...maybe. It's the same weekend as my son's 26th birthday so I'll have to see what his plans are first. But I really do want to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEP!! I'm going too! I am so excited - it will be my first ever trip to the US and my first overseas adventure on my own! You've got some great classes booked in. I'm doing Malka Dubrawsky's color your cloth on Thursday and AMH's composing a quilt on Friday as well as volunteering Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday - this is going to be SO much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent! Have a safe voyage overseas. Can't wait to meet you in Austin!

      Delete
  5. Can't wait to finally meet you there! I think we are in AMH's class together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope to see you there!!! :) I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to meet you, and hope to see you at QuiltCon!

    ReplyDelete